This program is designed for Spectrum 128K and compatibles.
The program consists of two parts:
Side A - Intro: It contains the introductory sequence of the game and tells the story of the main characters. Press Space to speed up the action. Press "C" to end the sequence and load the game itself.
Side B - Exam: It contains the game itself and can be loaded independently of the Intro.
Main menu of the game
The menu options can be selected by using the cursor keys and ENTER.
Start: Begin the exam.
Controls: Allows to select number of players and control devices:
- Redefine Keys: Allows redefining the two redefinable keys sets. The ENTER key is predefined to access to the Pause Menu, which is also useful to quit the exam.
- Change Thief 1: Use this option to appoint any of the two main characters (Courage and Mist) as Thief 1, which will appear in the lower left position at the start of each level.
- Change Thief 2: Use this option to appoint any of the two main characters (Courage and Mist) as Thief 2, which will appear in the lower right position at the start of each level.
- Change Thief 1/2 Control: Selects a control device to each thief, including several types of joysticks and the redefinable keys sets. If the red X icon is selected, no control device will be assigned so that thief will not take the exam.
Sound: This option is useful for adjust sounds and music volume. If volume is set to 0, either sounds or music are completely deactivated.
Start Option: Selecting Game Mode
Once the Start option from the main menu is selected, the Exam Setup menu will appear, in which the different game modes can be configured. The options are:
- In Action-Robbery mode, the students must steal all the goods present in the room, and also they must get rid of all the witnesses, using any harmful objects they find. This is because fire weapons are not allowed in this particular exam. If the room is clear without injury, the professors will grant a special bonus on the obtained bounty.
- In Stealth-Larceny mode, the students must steal all the goods present in the room avoiding any contact with guards or movement detectors. Use of harmful objects is not allowed. If all the goods are stolen without being detected and without injuries, the professors will grant a special bonus on the obtained bounty.
- The Graduation Tour is the only possible exam for graduating in Stealing Arts, and involves travel to different parts of the world. It can be taken under Action-Robbery or Stealth-Larceny styles. Each style has its own pre-defined scenario, after which the students are approved and, in the case of Mist and Courage, it will mean the graduation automatically.
- A Custom Exam does not allow to graduate, but it is a good way of practicing skills or challenging another student of the School. Once finished, a performance description of the students will be shown, appointing as winner the student with higher grade. The grade is a function of the obtained bounty, injuries, and level reached. Because the injury degree is a component of the final outcome, quitting the exam (by pressing ENTER) when a good bounty has been obtained will result in a higher grade than playing until death or capture. In any case, selecting Custom Exam will enable a wide set of options, explained below.
Custom Exam Options:
- Tour: Allows to take the exam in the same locations of the Graduation Tour. At the end of the tour, the exam will finish and the final grades will be determined.
- Random: Allows to take the exam in a random location. This mode has no predefined ending, it will only end if both students are captured, or if they voluntarily quit.
- Cooperative: In this mode, the students must collaborate to steal the goods, and the final grade will be a function of the bounties, remaining energy and levels obtained by the two players.
- Deathmatch: In this case, the students compete against each other, and the winner will be the one with the higher grade.
- Baddies: Selecting this option, guards, dangerous animals and giant bosses will appear during exam.
- Clock: Allows to take the exam with time limit. Scattered goods will appear randomly, to be stolen as soon as possible. When the countdown reaches zero, the exam will end.
Taking the Exam
- Diamond: Increases bounty.
- Medical Kit: Increases energy.
- i Letter: Gives temporal immunity.
- Bomb: Harms all the enemies in the room.
- E-X-T-R-A letters: Collecting all these letters, the bounty and energy will be substantially increased.
- Big jewel stone: Substantially increases bounty, it only appears after defeating bosses.
Suggestions and Tricks